Friday 1 June 2012


These children aren’t empty

The children I have met are HIV positive
Parents who are dead that’s double negative
Picked up because if left they would die
The loss they have suffered is set deep in their eye
You see the children have been rescued from drowning
Sinking in a sea of disease that was swallowing
But a hand grabbed their hand and lifted them out
Of the depths of this pain now their beginning to shout

These children aren’t empty
They run in bare foot where I tiptoe in flip flops, and plenty
Of welcome as I embrace their cuddles and smiles
Back home my culture would scream “paedophile”
To reject this affection would be to deny them their giving
I am here to receive not just giving, that’s living
Pouring out from our insides a torrent of talents and gifts
To each other and that’s why my hand lifts
In applause or in praise
In wonder I gaze

The children play for hours without technology
This may seem obvious but what’s the psychology?
They grabbed the skipping rope from me and organised games with it
I turned up late for the football they said “NO”, that’s not in my script
That’s not helpless or powerless that’s not lacking
In self-esteem or in confidence, this white man needs sacking!
Instead I am backing these children to turn loss into laughter
A medicine that can’t be brought off the shelf, a corporate disaster!

These children have an identity and been given a name
Struggle and suffering comes to all in life’s game
They are not higher or lower in these things than me
We are the same but in a different paradigm you see
They don’t need my pity
So I try and show them some dignity
And then I may learn the beauty of their humanity
THESE CHILDREN AREN’T EMPTY

Written by Mark 
May 2012

1 comment:

  1. Love the poem Mark. Wonderful.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete