Monday 21 May 2012

Killing Fields and S-21


This is a very short account of our visit to Cheong Ek Genocidal Centre (killing fields) and S21 Tuol Sleng Museum (Khmer Rouge secret detention and torture prison). Jamie, KJ and I went.

The ‘killing fields’ is now a very peaceful place with lots of greenery – grasses, trees, wild flowers, butterflies, hens and chicks and a lake. It is quiet and respectful. I walked through with an audio guide hung around my neck. I was so overwhelmed by the graves, torture implements and skulls. It was more than just a ‘museum’ but a very real reminder of what has happened here in Cambodia not so long ago. Bones and pieces of clothing still surface in the mass graves after periods of heavy rain which seems kind of spooky but also brings atrocity into sharp perspective.

fence around babies mass grave
 Many Cambodians I have spoken too has someone in their family who was killed or tortured by the Khmer Rouge. It is thought that around 1 in 4 people where killed across the whole country. I was most shocked by the graves of babies who were born 1972-73. I was born Nov’73 so these people are my peers – would have been my age if given the chance to live. Walking around with my daughter I felt so privileged to have life and to have family.

I also met a 71 year old man and one of only 7 survivors of S21 (the torture prison). I bought his biography and had a picture with him. He was a gentle and sweet man – too old for his age sadly due to his torture. He has partial hearing following torture by electrocution through the ears.




skeletons of boys aged 15 yrs
Why do humans destroy humans? Why do fellow countrymen kill each other?  Why does brother murder their own brother? It is not meant to be this way. Most of the day I was speechless and sad that this has happened here and in many other nations.

So we spend the next few weeks in a nation that is still rebuilding itself, that is still healing and finding its way. Yet the Cambodian people are so smiley, friendly, hospitable and seem soft hearted. I guess they appreciate life and the freedom they now have. Maybe I will learn a thing or two while I am here!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment