Friday 23 September 2011

Venturing out to the Downtown

Hayley spoke in confident Spanish enabling us to get the tickets for our first ride on the ‘Subte’ (underground train). The train itself was more like an underground tram. The old wooden train, we believe, is one of the last of its kind in the history of this train service. There was one other exciting feature about this train (if the latter didn't get you going), this train departs from the platform with doors open and people trying to clamber aboard!

Since arriving in Buenos Aires Hayley and I have been using a saying (probably as old as the tram) from the Grover ancestry – ‘Savour the moment’ – so we did, this day was our 17th Wedding anniversary. We recounted tales of the wedding day, our honeymoon and no regrets as we toasted the occasion, with our three beautiful girls, in a back street café. So I had the widest grin on my face, I also crossed the widest road in the world (an epic walk) and the next day I would sit at the edge widest river delta in the world.



On the return journey by the ‘underground tram’ we were entertained by a man who had strapped a laptop and speakers all to one arm whilst selling the pirated CD’s of 80’s music with his other – this one armed DJ gave us a 30 sec blast of ‘We will rock you’ tempting us into buying his mega mix. I had admiration for the ingenuity of his scheme, whilst hoping I would not have to resort to selling in this way to earn a living when I got back to the UK! (An extract from Mark’s travel writing.10/09/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment