Sunday 27 November 2011

I love being an Aunty….



 We have been in Perth for two weeks and I have been in ‘Aunty heaven’ doing the Aunty things I have done with my UK nieces and nephews and close friends children. I have helped with homework, listened to Ethan’s reading and helping with his tricky words, invited to see Mia’s cello lesson, made cakes and crumbles with Lauren, listening to scale practice from both the girls and plaited their hair many times, sewing dolls and watching Mia’s horse riding lesson. I also had some fantastic mornings in school, attending an assembly and being invited to Lauren and Ethan’s class to help the teacher – I loved it!



A few years ago I learnt from my friend Genty that an ‘Aunt’ is a special role in a persons’ life and you can be an Aunt to far more children than just your blood family. I have pondered on this – for me an Aunty is not just a role as the mothers or fathers’ sibling but a responsibility to show interest, care and love to the child and a willingness to learn from them.

So to all my blood, spiritual and extended family nieces and nephews I thank you for letting me in your lives. UK crew, I miss you so much but I am so happy to have this special time with you Lauren, Mia and Ethan. Love Aunty Hayley x

PS. And thanks to those who are ‘aunties’ to mine… you are an inspiration to me x

1 comment:

  1. A lovely reminder Hayley - thank you. You made me think about the precious children I am "Aunty" to.

    ReplyDelete